Monday, December 10, 2012

MARVELous Maine Invitational - Week 10


EbscoHost Family of Databases and Ebsco Books

Discovery Exercise

EbscoHost .
I entered the Ebsco databases by clicking on 'E', then choosing the EbscoHost database link.

I clicked on the 'publications' tab, and saw a few publications listed, but when I clicked on 'more' there were many more to choose from. I searched for gluten-free food, limiting it to the past 10 years. Vegetarian Times was one of the magazine titles.

MasterFILE Premier provided an article about Gluten-Free Quackery, in the Running & Fitnews Magazine.

APA
(American Psychological Assoc.)
References
Gluten-free Quackery?. (2012). Running & FitNews, 30(4), 5. 


I checked 6 blogs before I found a couple who had made it through to week 10. I really appreciated the honesty regarding some of the difficulties using these data bases.

Ebsco eBooks (formerly NetLibrary)
Discovery Exercise:
I searched 'Maine' first and came up with places to visit, Native American history, colleges, and legal matters. I noticed that many of the results were Gutenburg ebooks. Next I searched 'hiking' and found 10 books, related to parks in various states, and one about dogs. I assume that involves hiking with your dog.

Searching for  Constitution Day in NetLibrary brought only result. When I went to the data bases and selected Teacher Reference Center, the results were wonderful! One could easily locate lesson plans here. I need to remember this data base for our teachers and home schoolers.

Using 'Western history' as a search term, and the  “Advanced Search” with 'Nebraska' in the   Publisher box, I came up with one result, a book "Overland Journey from New York to San Francisco in the Summer of 1859".

I explored hiking in the MiddleSearch Plus data base. I learned that I should not underestimate the information here. I found Scouting magazine, and articles from other outdoor type publications.

As I browsed the data bases in Ebsco, I also found AHFS Consumer Medication Information. Information is written for the consumer and also available in Spanish. Another find was Highlights for Children Magazine. I stumbled up on this as I was searching the Primary Search sources.

There is information to be had for sure; searching is an acquired skill!

No comments:

Post a Comment