Tuesday, December 4, 2012

MARVELous Maine Invitational - Week 9

LearningExpress
Discovery Exercise:
Create a blog post discussing the following questions and other observations you have about Learning Express Library.

1.  Set-up an account in LearningExpress and browse through the available exams.
I set up my account, browsed, then searched by 'test' and located a CNA test. 

2.  Choose one and answer a few questions. Then click “Score my test” in the top toolbar. Ignore the warnings and continue to have your test scored, so that you can see how the diagnostic page looks. Then click “View Answers” at the bottom of the page. What did you think about this test experience?

"Nursing Assistant/Nurse Aide Practice Test 1" is the exam I chose.  I did 20 out of the 70 questions, and really enjoyed myself! I would love to go back when I have more time and re-take the test. In the interest of completing this assignment in a timely manor, I submitted my answers and scored my test. The results were broken down into areas of study so one knows what their strengths and weakness are. The exam also allowed me to view my answers, which boosted confidence to see the correct answers, and increased knowledge by providing the correct answers to the questions which I answered incorrectly. This was a great experience!

3.  Job searching and resume writing are among the self-paced courses in LearningExpress.  Click on the “Job Search and Workplace Skills” learning center and add one of the courses to your center.  Take a few minutes to explore the course and note your observations.

I learned that TOEIC means 'Test of English for International Communication'. 

I chose Career Course: Interview Tips to Get the Job You Want. The course allows you to spend as much time as you need on it, and to come back to it later. Some interview guidelines are able to be printed out for reference. This course offers wonderful information on preparing for an interview! 
We have so many patrons looking for work, preparing resumes, cover letters and preparing for interviews, I can't wait to let them know about these valuable tools!

4. Type a search term in the search box in the upper left of the home page for a skills improvement or career topic in which you are interested. Notice that results are sorted by tests, courses and eBooks (if all of those are available for your chosen topic). Please select an eBook and look through its pages.
OR
From the home page, bottom right, click the link for eBooks. The list will open in a new window. Browse the titles and take a look at one that interests you.

The sheer volume of information available is incredible. I chose Jobs and Careers eBooks. there is everything from Real Estate, Fire and Police, Nursing, Vet Tech, Postal Worker, Plumber, Civil Service , and more. I am wondering if some of this information might be useful to a student who is trying to decide what career they might enjoy. 

In summary, I must say that this part of MARVEL is just as intriguing to me as the Hobbies and Crafts, as I love to learn and have a variety of interests. I could easily spend hours and hours here.

No comments:

Post a Comment