Wednesday, December 5, 2012

MARVELous Maine Invitational - Week 8

Genealogy Resources—Ancestry Library


Discovery Exercise:
Create a blog posting discussing the following questions and other observations you have about Ancestry Library, Heritage Quest and Sanborn Maps.


1. Contrary to popular belief, you don’t have to be dead to be listed in Ancestry Library and can frequently find useful information in the U.S. Phone and Address Directories, 1993-2002. You may even find your marriage license. Search for your own name in Ancestry Library and report the results.

When I searched for myself, I was taken to information in US Public Records Index Volume 1, and saw the two address where I lived before my current address.


2.  In Ancestry Library, search for a grandparent or great-grandparent and see if you can locate them in the census.  Report your findings.

This was in interesting search. I searched for my maternal great grandfather. It was interesting to note the different forms of his wife's name. Some locating had her as Susan, others reported Suzie. One of my great uncles did an extensive family genealogy which included that branch. I was also able to locate my great grandfather's World War I Draft Registration card. I made a copy of this to include in the genealogy materials I already have for that family. 


I also searched another family member and compared the 1910, 1920, 1930, and 1940 census. It was interesting to note the different family members and the ages, living in the household at the different times. I can see why so many people spend hours of self discovery with searching their family trees. 

3.  In Ancestry Library, perform a search under the “Photos and Maps” tab for “Maine” as the keyword.  Report your findings.

It took me a bit to locate the Photos and Maps tab. I finally ended up with a page where I could select a Maine county to see the unique collections for the county. There were not many photos in this area. I did enjoy the US Historical Postcards for Maine. I was less interested in the Professional Baseball Players images! Nice to know they are there, for those who might enjoy them!



No comments:

Post a Comment